Wednesday 16 December 2009

IN Ghana

Second Post Akwaaba and welcome to GhanaWhen I fly I am usually nervous but this time I was not for whatever reason right when we took off I got this sudden feeling of calm like this is what I was supposed to be doing. Now I do not believe in fate or any that mumbo jumbo so that was an interesting experience for me. Anyway we got to Ghana my initial impression stepping off the plane was it is Hot, Humid and Green. Even though mentally I felt good about the whole thing and was feeling amazingly comfortable in such a strange place physically I felt strange. While we were being welcomed at the PC office I started to feel light headed and my eyes started to flutter uncontrollably. I thought it was dehydration so I started drinking water like crazy. Which by the way in Ghana comes in a bag that you bite the corner off of and suck out the water. So drank about 3 of these and felt a little better. On our way to the hotel in the traffic and Chaos that is Accra I had to pee so bad I made the bus pull over and I peed on the side of the road. I had drunk so much longer that some people said it had lasted more than 2 minutes. Let’s just say everyone was impressed. I was feeling pretty good until we go to the place we were staying and started to play an ice breaker game. That was when the feeling came back of being light headed and my eyes started to move uncontrollably. This time however I could not solve it with water when I went to sit down I actually ended up having a seizure. I woke up about 10 minutes later in someone’s room with stiff jaw and a splitting headache. Luckily some people where trained EMT’s and they knew what to do. They told me that I seized fell to the floor then woke up spoke to them a little and then seized again. In case anyone is worried I have been thoroughly examine I have had a CAT scan and EKG and I am totally fine. They think it was combination of stress, lack of sleep and the malaria medication I had taken which I have since switched to another type. It was a rather exciting start to my Peace Corps service in Ghana and I will forever be known as the guy who had a seizure the first day in country.

No comments:

Post a Comment