Wednesday 16 December 2009

Happy Obama Day

Well as you may or may not know President Obama chose Ghana as the first sub-saharan African country to visit as President. We were lucky enough to be invited as Peace Corps trainees because we were not volunteers yet to go and watch him and the President of Ghana speak before he left on Air Force One. It took us 12 hours for all of us to get to Accra and clear security before we actually got to see him speak. It was totally worth it. It was really amazing to see our First black President on his first visit to a black country. His speech only last about 15 minutes and it was interrupted twice by us because he mentioned the Peace Corps. It was awesome my goose bumps were about the size of golf balls listening to our President talk about how proud he was of us and what we were doing. It was really amazing and I wish I could describe it better but again like always the vocabulary is not there for me. At the end of his speech he and Michele did go around and shake hands but I could not get close enough and the push of the crowd was already too much. Some of my friends shook both of their hands and I shook their hand so I guess I was one removed from shaking their hands. It was an amazing experience and one that I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment