Wednesday 16 December 2009

Accra Phase Vision Quest

Third Post Accra Phase vision quest
After I got my medical stuff out of the way we did some training in Accra (pronounced A-ccra). It was just telling us some things about safety and health we also got too travel on our first tro tro the form of public transportation in the country. It is basically a really old Hyandai or Toyota van which they cram as many people in as possible. It is an experience I have ridden on tros with goats, crying children, blaring music, arguing passengers and once I saw child whose mother fell asleep breastfeed herself without her mother waking up. It is always an adventure. Last week my tro got a flat tire on the back to site from Accra and it was changed in maybe 10 minutes. In that time 3 other tros stopped to give our driver and mate tools. It is just one of the many well. Then we got to go on a vision quest were we get to see how a volunteer lives and what life is going to be like. It was good my original host was having trouble at site so went with my friend Mike on his vision quest. The volunteers site was great he had a really nice place to stay and he was in the “mountains” of Ghana which are not tall but it was much cooler there. I actually got to wear my sweatshirt. He was a great cook and we pretty much played cards and experienced site it was not too bad. We then made our way back to Kukurantumi to where our training would be located.

No comments:

Post a Comment