Wednesday 16 December 2009

Christ Apostolic Church

My first night at home stay was great until I wanted to go to sleep. I had one of the busiest and most exhausting days yet in Ghana but when I lay down to sleep I was introduced to the CAC. This was a small unassuming looking church about 30 yards from my window. I did not even notice it when I was moving in it did not seem like anything special. That night at about 9pm which is when most people go to sleep in Ghana the church was just getting started. It was a revival night which meant they would be seeing and clapping about the Holy Spirit until 4 AM. It was terrible way to spend my first night but I will never forget it I was absolutely exhausted the next day. Church in Ghana is an event on Sunday it lasts for about 3 hours. It consists of singing, dancing, scripture reading, talking in tongues, being possessed by the Holy Spirit, preaching and finally an argument over money. One minute I was completely amazed and fascinated by what was going on and the other I was bored out of mind. It is quite an experience. One thing that boggles my mind is that for all of the great forms of music which have their roots in Africa such as Blues, Jazz, Reggae and R & B is that here they cannot sing. The singing is most generally horrible and lacks enthusiasm in my opinion but you can definitely see where the beats come into play. There is definitely a lot of rhythm and the dancing is always fun and entertaining it just the singing that is brutal.

No comments:

Post a Comment